Monday, May 19, 2008

Livestrong Challenge

You might have noticed the new heading "Livestrong Challenge" with thermometer over on the sidebar. I'm doing the Livestrong Challenge in San Jose for Susan. I don't know Susan personally, but I read her husbands blog. He's the Fat Cyclist and he's kept me entertained for a few years. He's a very funny guy, and he seems like a nice sort of fellow, but I don't know, I've never met him. But you know how it is when you read somebody's blog. You are in that awkward place where you think you know the person, but you really don't? Well, awhile ago I found out something I didn't know about him. His wife is dying. She has breast cancer. It's terminal. She is going to die, and it breaks my heart.

I'm riding for Susan because I can. I'm strong and healthy and I have so many things to be thankful for in my life. I have family, and friends. I have Brian. I have a job that I love, and a cool place to live, and things that I love to do that get me up and moving in the morning. I have a really amazing life. And because of that I need to ride for Susan. I need to ride for her, because right now she can't. And it's the least I can do. I don't know if that makes any sense.

I'm not good at fundraising. I hated selling girl scout cookies when I was younger. (I made my brother do it for me.) So I'm not asking for any money for me. I needed to raise at least 300 dollars to do my fifty mile ride, and I' ve got that covered. But if anyone feels moved to donate to Livestrong, you can click on the link at the right, and do what feels right.

If you can't give any money, then maybe you could give a prayer or a word of encouragement to
Elden and his wife. They're fighting to win.

No comments: