Thursday, April 10, 2008

Sunnyvale Baylands Park

Last Saturday I went riding at the Sunnyvale Baylands Park. It still surprises me that we are so close to the bay. When I think about the ocean I think about "going over the hill" to Santa Cruz. But the bay is as close as Sunnyvale which is practically down the street from me! I know it's not the ocean, but any huge body of water is amazing to a Kansas girl. "Look Toto! It's the o-ce-an!"


Sometimes I like to ride on the road, instead of mountain biking. It's so much easier. Just kick back, and cruise along. I love a dirt road like this. Doesn't it seem to open up such possibilities?


Spring turns the baylands into a much prettier picture. I haven't made up my mind whether I like the look during the rest of the year. It's flat, and not much to look at first glance. Maybe it's an aquired taste, like spinach?


yay, Bay Trail! I was a total nerd and bought the maps for the Bay Trail. I love maps. Hopefully they'll finish connecting all the parts of the Bay Trail in my lifetime, it would make a nice ride from here up to San Fransisco.


Milpitas in the distance, I think. This trail connects to the slough in Alviso, but um...been there, done that once. It kind of stinks. And the water is bright green. Maybe from natural sources, but it still looks radioactive.



See the whitecaps? It was such a windy day. And the other thing about the Bay is the smell. It's not all roses and cinnamon out there. Pee yew!


This was the dirt path that takes you all around this part of the Bay. That's Moffet Field far off in the distance.



I like this little house. To the right is the dirt path that takes you around the Bay. I almost didn't take it since I was heading towards home, but the pull of an unexplored trail is too hard to ignore!




I found the San Tomas/Stevens Creek trail for my ride on the way home. It takes you behind Great America. Those people look like they are having fun, don't they? I love roller coasters!
It was a good ride, I got 25 miles to add to my total bike miles, and left some trails for next time too.

Next up, time for Sea Otter! And this time when I'm in Monterey, I swear I'm going to see the Ocean!

No comments: