Sunday, June 29, 2008

What I have been up to since June 14th...
Short ride at Saratoga Gap, work, mountain bike at Russian Ridge, work, mountain bike at Saratoga Gap, work, mountain bike at Waterdog, long run around the neighborhood, bike ride at the baylands, work, work, work, summer reading club kickoff, more work, a short run, hot, hot, hot, races at the velodrome, another run, ankle hurts, tried to dirt bike-battery dead, Brian sick, Brian still sick, Brian STILL sick, mountain bike at China Camp-whew!

~~~~~~~~~~
Yesterday was Ales and Trails at China Camp. I'm not much into ale, but I'm definitley into trail and since I've never ridden at China Camp before I was excited to go. It was an UP and DOWN kind of day. First I was UP very early in the morning as designated carpooler. It's always nice to take along friends who actually know where they are going so you don't have to rely on map quest. The Ales and Trails event was a little confusing. You had to sign UP for rides, but since I didn't realize that until too late, I didn't get to go on any of the organized rides which was kind of a let DOWN. However, I had a map, and I don't mind riding with myself since I think I'm very good company :), besides I like to play tourist on my moutain bike and take in the scenery, so it was better that I could go at my own pace. I headed DOWN the trail, and could tell from the very start it was going to be a good ride. The trail was swoopy through the trees, there were deer close enough to touch, and a gorgeous view of the water...China Camp was so beautiful!

I made a half loop before I reached several other mountain bikers regrouping, so I turned around and headed back. Having climbed UP to reach that point it was all DOWN hill from there. Sooooooo fun! Swoopy, fast, curvy downhill....at least a solid 2 miles of it. Ahh, bliss. I met my friend close to the end of the trail and she suggested riding the loop from the other direction. So after a water break we went the opposite way which was a LOT of climbing UP. But it was the good kind of climbing where you just settle in to pedal and there wasn't a lot of grunt work involved. It did seem to go on a bit, but the pay back was going DOWN hill all the way back to the beginning. A very good loop; seven miles and more than half of that was downhill.

After doing a loop and a half I was so hungry and looking forward to the lunch that was going to be served. Barbeque and salad and fruit and cookies and brownies....yum! With stomachs grumbling we waited patiently in line only to have the food run out just as we reached the tables. That was a major DOWNER. After 17 miles of riding, all I got was a salad and a piece of bread. Duudes, not cool! I can't imagine what would happen if they had run out of beer. :P

So there was only one thing left to do, pack up the bikes and hit the In and Out Burger on the way home.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Sounds like heaven. I stick to the pavement, but like hearing how you off-road folks get out there. Hope Brian is better by now!