Wednesday, July 23, 2008

We're outta here!

Usually when we leave Tahoe I'm sad. There's always one more trail that we didn't get to ride, and it's hard to leave. We always try to squeeze in one last ride no matter how tired we are, and it never seems to be enough. Last May when we left, I got tears in my eyes as we drove over the mountain I was that sad to be leaving.

Not this time. It's 7:30 am, my bags are packed and I'm so ready to get out of here.

It's not that I hate Northstar. I actually have grown to kind of like it. But I'm so done with it now. I'm done with pulling on head to toe body armour every morning. I'm done with getting stuck on the ski lift, feet dangling high in the sky, and no way to get down. I'm done with riding over rocks. I'm done with gravel, and skree and off camber trails. Done, done, done.

My legs ache, my arms ache, the back of my neck itches from sunburn, my skin is dry from altitude and I'm exhausted. All this riding downhill wears a person out.

I'm ready to shed my full face helmet, and go back to being mild mannered librarian....at least for awhile.

No comments: